Avoid Furnace Repairs or Replacements with this DIY Checklist
With Winnipeg's harsh winters, it's important to maintain the health of your heating system. You don’t want issues to develop that could result in costly furnace repairs right when you need the heat the most. That makes fall the perfect time to do a pre-season checkup on your furnace.
Furnace Checklist for Winnipeg Homeowners
Make the following checklist a part of your regular maintenance routine to keep your furnace in good condition. But remember, nothing can replace yearly service and repair from a licensed HVAC technician in Winnipeg. Without yearly servicing, your heating system can lose efficiency, release deadly carbon monoxide or simply breakdown.
- Check the air filter. Change your furnace air filter once a month. A dirty filter can increase energy costs and damage your equipment, eventually resulting in costly furnace repairs or a furnace replacement.
- Inspect intake air vents. Make sure they are free of dirt, debris and any insects that may be nesting inside the vents.
- Check for leaks in the thermostat settings. Your heating system should keep you comfortable when you're at home and save energy when you're away. If you have a programmable thermostat, adjust the temperature settings accordingly.
- Check for leaks in the duct work. A good way to test this is by brushing a bit of dish soap on the seams. If any bubbles appear that may indicate an issue that needs fixing.
- Locate the gas (or oil) connections, check gas pressure, burner combustion and heat exchanger. If any of these are not working correctly, they become a potential fire hazard. With the system off, carefully clean the burner and look for cracks in the heat exchanger.
- Clean the condensation drain in your air conditioning, furnace and/or heat pump. A plugged drain can cause water damage in your basement and affect the level of humidity inside your home.
- Inspect the furnace's flue. Use a flashlight to check for condensation and corrosion. Tap the furnace gently to see if any debris falls from the flue. It's a serious issue if there is any moisture, rust, corrosion or soot present.
Contact us right away if you think that your furnace needs repair or if you want a complete residential furnace replacement in Winnipeg or the surrounding areas. We’ll make sure that your new furnace installation is done quickly and efficiently so you can stay warm this winter.
The Most Trusted HVAC technicians in Winnipeg
With over 20 years in business, we have one of the most reliable HVAC crews in Winnipeg. If your residential furnace needs repair or replacement call East Side Ventilation today. And don’t forget to ask us about the furnace financing options available to Manitoba Hydro’s Winnipeg customers.