Now that the warm weather has left us, most people in Winnipeg have already turned off their air conditioners and turned on their furnaces. For some, their AC unit is simply out of sight and out of mind all winter. But if you want to make sure that it will be ready and working again next summer, be sure to read the following tips:
How to prepare your air conditioner for winter in Winnipeg this year
- Turn off the power — It may go without saying, but killing the power to the unit can protect it from damage during the winter. You wouldn’t want to accidentally turn it on if it is covered with ice or filled with debris.
- Skip the salt — If your unit is right next to a pathway, then you’ll have to take precautions to make sure that no salt comes in to contact with it. If salt gets inside the unit, it will speed up corrosion and cost you a bundle in air conditioning repairs.
- Drip drip — Check the eavestroughs directly above the unit to make sure that they are not bent or obstructed. Damaged eavestroughs could cause water to drip onto it when the weather in Winnipeg starts to warm up.
- Call a professional — In Winnipeg to fully winterize your air conditioner. An air conditioning contractor will check the condition of all of the system components, do any necessary repairs and clean the unit to make sure that it is free from dust and debris.
- Cover your unit — Buy a genuine cover to protect your unit from ice and snow. Never wrap it with a plastic tarp. Plastic restricts air movement and can cause moisture and bacteria to build up inside the unit. Excess moisture will speed up corrosion and shorten its life span. Wrapping the unit in plastic can also attract rodents and small animals looking for a warm place to hide from the cold.
The best way to protect your AC unit from the harsh winter elements is to have it serviced by a professional from East Side Ventilation. We’re Winnipeg’s most trusted heating, air conditioning and HVAC installation and repair specialists. Be sure to ask us how you can save a bundle with the hydro financing and rebate options available to Hydro Manitoba customers in Winnipeg. Call now to find out more!